Built circa 1835 by Daniel Stagg and his wife, Elizabeth Yantis Stagg, this house features a massive portico supported by four brick and plaster Doric columns. The windows and central doorway are from a pattern book by Menard Lefever.
Stagg, a prominent Harrodsburg businessman, constructed his impressive brick home on what was then Warwick Street. This street was the main artery leading from Harrodsburg to Frankfort and was named for the Kentucky River port of Warwick.
Doricham has sheltered many Harrodsburg notables, and among them was Terah T. Haggin. Haggin, a success in his own right as an attorney who served on the Kentucky Court of Appeals, was also the father of multi-millionaire James Ben Ali Haggin for whom Keeneland’s Ben Ali Stakes are named.
Physician Andrew T. Stephenson purchased the house in 1866 and lived there until shortly before his death. His lengthy obituary in the January 16, 1895 edition of The Sayings recounted that he was “possessed of a strong mind of great mental acumen and versatility and he employed the greater part of his time in latter years in scientific studies and investigations.” After his death, the house became the property of his children, William W., Martha and Mary who added their own chapter to its history.
William W. was an attorney, state representative and state senator. He was director of the Kentucky State Historical Association, and founded the Harrodsburg Historical Society in 1907, serving as president from the beginning until his death in 1914. The History of Kentucky, Volume 5 noted that he “strove with arduous and loving zeal to awaken the people of Mercer County to a proper appreciation of and interest in their great historic past.”
His sisters, Mattie and Mary, shared his zeal for history and public service.
Mattie was educated at Daughters College in Harrodsburg, where she taught from 1870—1872. She later taught at Madison Female Institute in Richmond, Kentucky and Hamilton College at Lexington, Kentucky.
She worked tirelessly for improving literacy in Kentucky and the History of Kentucky, Volume 5 stated that she “made the subject of illiteracy one that could not be avoided as a flagrant fact, however annoying it was to complacent state pride.”
Mary, an accomplished writer, was equally well educated and taught at what was then called the Kentucky Orphan School at Midway, Kentucky.
Doricham stayed with the Stephenson Family until 1929.
Following that, Doricham was home to the John Landrum Family for many years.
Current owners Tom and Maggie Hardy are also avid historians. They are now adding their own story to this wonderful home and are tastefully bringing it into the 21st Century, while retaining the ambience of old Mercer County.
The James Harrod Trust is proud to add an historical marker for Doricham, home of Tom and Maggie Hardy, on North College Street, to the Harrodsburg and Mercer County Walking and Driving Tour in time for Harrodsburg’s 250th birthday.
409 North College Street
Harrodsburg, KY 40330