The James Harrod Trust

for Historic Preservation

Dedman Drugstore

Smith and Dedman Drugstore opened in 1868 at 225 South Main Street, Harrodsburg, Kentucky. Eventually C.M. Dedman bought out his partner and the business was known as Dedman’s Drugstore. The building functioned as a pharmacy until 1983 and had been a gathering place for adults and children for over one hundred years.

​When the property went on the market, the Trust sought private ownership and development. This having failed, the property was to be sold to an individual who intended to strip out the interior fixtures and cabinetry.

​Through the generosity of a local citizen, Dedman’s was purchased for the Trust.Through community support, a low interest loan from local banks and the generous financial help of a local philanthropist the Trust was able to restore the first floor of the Drugstore in 2years. Soon we were fortunate enough to find a wonderful,hard working couple to lease the building from us. Tim and Jennifer Kazimer opened the Kentucky Fudge Shop in the Dedman Drugstore on January 12, 2006. It has become a staple on Main Street treating its visitors to sandwiches, soups, ice cream, and homemade fudge. Once again it is a gathering place for adults and children.